Sunday, August 28, 2011

More chickens

Turns out they preferred the tomato. Speaking of chickens, yesterday I was talking about DPW. I would like to return to that subject after having consulted the expert this morning over coffee. He reminded me that DPW stands for Dried Poultry Waste. I think I called it Decomposed .....So this year this is our main source of nitrogen for both cherries and apples. Our semi loads came from Canada and cost ~$90/ton. Last year we spent a lot more on blood feather meal. We're putting on about the same amount this year 2 ton/acre or 120 lbs of N/acre but with DPW. We'll probably put more on the Lapins in the spring if they stay organic because they don't have a weed strip. We're putting this on all the apples except the Honeycrisp which are showing an excess of nitrogen in the leaf analysis. The grafted Honeycrisp at Last Chance won't need any either.
I believe this is Kate Hudson and she prefers watermelon rinds to tomato worms.
The big ah ha for Bill and I was learning that DPW is a faster nitrogen source than feather meal. The feather meal has a longer decomposition time. It just takes longer going from feathers to nitrogen. But Kate Hudson doesn't have to worry being nitrogen anytime soon. She's really in her prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment